Dearest moonbeams, we have our final new moon of the year and decade this week! On Dec 26th we have a special New Moon Annular Solar Eclipse in Capricorn! Only a few days after the winter solstice (darkest day of the year) we have another opportunity to connect to the dark with this annular eclipse where the moon will darken the sun. Eclipses always offer us an opportunity to work with our shadows and bravely look at the aspects of ourselves that are holding us back from stepping into our power.
Capricorn is a feminine Earth sign, ruled by the planet Saturn. It's a cardinal sign and initiates Winter in the Northern hemisphere and Summer in the Southern hemisphere. Saturn rules organization, structure and practicality. Capricorn is the final of the Earth signs and therefore carries a mature and wise energy.
Capricorn is represented by the constellation of the seagoat. As always, we can draw powerful messages from astrological imagery. The seagoat represents the combination of the earthly, practical life (the goat) with the soul life (fish tale). This provides us with the wonderful opportunity to reflect on the balance between our work life and our soul life before we head into 2020. Is our soul life something that we just squeeze in as and when we can? Or is it with us all day? What's our soul purpose and soul calling? Are we dedicated to it? Capricorns integrate their spirituality and soul purpose into their daily life. This is a beautiful quality and gives them this wise, grounded and magical energy. They also have the dedication and focus of the mountain goat and therefore are hard working and able to carry out their goals. Are we lacking in determination and focus? We will unpack this more in our journaling prompts.
Capricorn season is a time to connect to the darkness of winter, to the dark Goddesses and the idea of learning to love the dark and all the wisdom it contains. Connect with the powerful Goddess Cailleach, she rules the winter, death and release and represents the archetype of the Crone. What wisdom is waiting for you in the dark of the winter forest and how can you slow down enough to hear it? Just like the winter trees, can you strip back your layers and bare your soul without the distractions of busy summer months to cover you up. Who are you underneath it all? In modern society we have forgotten how to sit with silence, stillness, ageing, the dark and death - how can we learn to stop shying away from these incredibly magical times and use them to transform and transcend?
'The cave your fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.' - Joseph Campbell
It might be a little bit tricky to make time on Boxing day for journaling so see how you go, you can always do it during the days after the eclipse. Get cosy, grab a comforting warm drink and your journal from this year and light some candles.
- Spend some time looking over your moon journal from this year. With an honest and open heart analise your intentions/goals each month. Were you able to stick to them/ follow through with them? If so, what did you gain from doing this? Any interesting insights? If you weren't able to can you see a pattern of why you weren't able to? What kept getting in the way? Can you identify your blockages and fear? Were there any breakthroughs this year?
- As we've spoken about, Capricorn invites us to turn inwards and ask what our soul purpose is. Dedicate a page in your journal for your soul purpose, draw, write, collage!
- Do we make time to tend to our soul life? What nourishes your soul? How could you dedicate time over the winter to nourish your soul?
- Where are you leaking energy? If you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to your soul purpose, ask yourself why this is? Sometimes, it's unavoidable but sometimes it's due to a lack of boundaries or taking on other people's stuff. How can you establish better boundaries for 2020? What would they look like?
- How much does what other's think of you effect the choices and decisions you make? How could you listen to your soul more and the noise of the outside world less? Connect to the wisdom of winter and the archetype of the crone, trust your deep inner knowing and guidance.
- What are your unique gifts and how could you use these next year?
- What wisdom have you gathered from the experiences of the last year and decade? What and who are you grateful for for gifting you this wisdom?
- How could you make more time for silence and stillness?
Winter Spice Latte
Mmmmmm this is a deliciously satisfying winter warmer and has the benefits o boosting immunity, easing joint and muscle pain and boosting circulation:
Non dairy milk of your choice
Handful of star Anise
1 Cinnamon stick
A few Cardamon Pods
1 tsp rose petals
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
Heat your milk in a pan on a low heat and add all your ingredients apart from the cinnamon stick. Infuse your milk for about 7-10 minutes ensuring that the milk doesn't come to the boil. Then use a milk frother or add to a blender to froth. Serve in your favourite mug and dust with Cinnamon and then add in your cinnamon stick.
This is a delightful alternative to mulled wine if you're in need of a break from alcohol or just want to be able to enjoy mulled wine all day long. Here's our recipe:
- Mulled Juice - this is usually available in supermarkets at this time of year. If you can't get Christmas mulled juice you can mix orange juice and apple juice together.
- a couple of slices of orange
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- a few pieces of star anise
- Mulled wine spice (you can buy sachets of this from most shops)
This can be made in a slow cooker or stove top, or if you're in a hurry you can simply use boiling water and mix it all together in tea pot.
In a large pan or in your slow cooker, use equal parts juice to boiling water and simmer on a low heat. Add in the orange slices, mulled spice sachet, cinnamon sticks and star anise and allow to steep for at least 10 minutes. If you're using a slow cooker you can keep this on all day so it gets more infused as the day goes on, perfect if you're hosting.
Wishing you a blessed New Moon dear ones. We'll be back again soon! xx